- Development of environmentally friendly metal removal processes
- Investigating the applicability of adsorbents. Qualification studies, kinetic characterization. Efficiency testing of water treatment systems (chemical, microbiological). Characterization and optimization of commercially available systems (fixed-bed columns) and developed methods based on our experiments. Designing and conducting static and dynamic experiments optimized for small and large laboratory scale
- Providing decision support expertise (case studies, comparative analyses, evaluations) based on data provided by the client and our own measured data
- Adsorbent regeneration testing
As a result of the identified services, technical documentation on the applicability of potential adsorbent candidates, the qualification of the systems tested and their regeneration efficiency will be prepared. We offer our clients continuous professional consultation from design to industrial application. Our Institute possesses a laboratory and all the necessary testing equipment to conduct pilot tests. We deliver exceptional quality to our customers using individually designed equipment and laboratory tools. Our team is committed to providing targeted solutions that grant the highest level of service.
|István Fekete – Lead Researcher
Chemistry MSc, 20 years of experience in classical and analytical chemistry.
|Krisztián Jancsek – Researcher
Earth Science MSc
Dr. Margit BALÁZS – Head Of Department
Deptartment of Recycling of Secondary Raw Materials
Recovery of secondary raw materials with adsorbents
- Developing efficient adsorbents for bonding metals and non-metallic elements is crucial to ensure efficient and sustainable solutions. Adsorption is a fundamental process for pollution control, water treatment, and various industrial applications. This surface phenomenon should be considered carefully when initiating production, capacity, and regeneration technologies or during qualification. Looking back to the recent past, adsorbents with high capacity and selectivity are gaining attention: modified coated zeolites, polymers, various bio-based materials, and the rest. Our institute has gained professional experience working with modified (surface-treated) adsorbents derived from secondary raw materials.
- An essential part of adsorbent researchis their qualification, which involves evaluating their performance and suitability for specific metal removal applications. This practice means examining their adsorption capacity, selectivity, kinetics and stability under different operating conditions. These qualification tests provide valuable information on the performance and reliability of the materials, allowing their optimal use and ensuring consistent and efficient binding of metals. The measurement-qualification system we have developed provides insight into the mechanism of adsorption, diffusion rate, and the interaction between metal ions and adsorbent materials. By characterizing the kinetics, optimal process parameters can be determined, leading to improved design and operation of metal removal systems.
- The regeneration technology (its feasibility) is a fundamental aspect of the adsorption studies. During regeneration, we focus on reusing saturated adsorbents (“reuse potential”), minimizing waste generation, and improving the sustainability of metal removal processes. Regeneration methods can involve physical, chemical, or biological processes, depending on the nature of the adsorbent and the metal targeted. Efficient regeneration techniques ensure an extended lifespan of the adsorbents, reducing the need for frequent replacements and minimizing the environmental impact. Developing efficient adsorbents, strict qualification procedures, efficient capacity optimization, sustainable regeneration techniques and comprehensive kinetic studies contribute to realizingrobust and environmentally friendly metal removal processes. These efforts are essential to address metal pollution challenges, ensure water quality and promote sustainable industrial practices.
As a result of the services identified here, our institute prepares professional documentation on the applicability, qualification and regeneration efficiency of potential adsorbent candidates. We offer our clients the possibility of continuous professional consultation from design to laboratory-scale implementation.