In essence, Life Cycle Assessment –(LCA) is about development and assessment of the environmental effects, that appear during the full life cycle of the products/processes (from extraction of raw materials, producing basic substances, to production of products, packaging, sales, warehousing, using, recycling, disposal – considering the environmental effects, all of which come from the steps of transporting process).
Life Cycle Assessment – LCA
The aim of application
- production / identification of environmentally weak points
- supporting environmental and sustainability reports, in accordance with economic and social assessments
- streamlining environmental impacts, which come from other operating of the companies, such as developing the opportunities for greenhouse-gas reduction
- supplies eco-design
- assess of environmental label
- supports marketing activities
- contributes towards the development of long-term environmental strategies
Applied software: thinkstep – GaBi Professional life cycle assessment software
Applied database: Internationally recognized, verified and approved databases: thinkstep Professional; ecoinvent 3.3, with thousands of processes
Most commonly used impact assessment method: CML2001. Impact categories: carbon footprint, acidification, eutrophication, reduction of resources or smog formation and also water footprint and effects of the elements of the ecosystem can be determined.
GaBi software references
- Product analysis: angle grinder, diesel, petrol, PP, PE bike, lawnmower, couch, bio char, etc.
- System analysis: transport, second-hand goods and selective waste collecting modes, deposit, system
- Waste recovery: energy utilization of sewage sludge, feather waste utilization in new insulating elements, recycling of used cooking oils as biodiesel, utilization of brownfield areas, recycling waste oil in the cement industry, extraction of critical elements from electronic products
- Education: software use, life cycle aspect
- EPD (environmental product declaration) support of the preparation